Home Design Find just released their 2012 Kitchen Design Trends report and I’ve seen a few of these, and others I think they are off their rocker a little bit. To their defense, I am not good at design trends and I tend to lean toward the contemporary side of things. Enough disclaimer, let’s work through them.
- Unmatched cabinetry. My wife will tell you this is so in right now, I don’t like it at all. I’m already certain that I will have to accept this one as I’m already seeing a lot of this happening in listings and seems to be enjoyed by today’s buyers.
- Limed Oak. Really? This is big right now, hmm, okay, not gonna land in my kitchen anytime soon.
- Smaller Kitchen Island. Okay, this one I’m on board with, I just need something big enough to do my current recipe. I don’t think I will have a kitchen without an island if I can help it.
- Integrated Kitchen Appliances. I see this in high-end homes and for the most part I think they look pretty crappy. I’ve only seen a couple of homes where I think it was pulled off correctly and when that happens, it looks really sharp. On occasion, it’s entertaining watching buyers and visitors try to find the refrigerator or oven.
- Lower-profile Faucets. I agree with this one, I think the faucets will start to blend more and look more simple even though the functions will still exist.
- Granite takes a Step back. Probably, anymore this is expected in just about every house. I don’t think we will see the tile counter top, but the concrete counter top is becoming very popular right now.
- All-White is passe. Yes, I’ve seen more color in kitchens and think that white is rather dated now.
- Tiles are getting Larger. Yes, on the floor, not for back-splashes. Large or multi-size floor tile is very popular and buyers comment on it quite a bit. Back-splash, the big thing is the glass tiles right now.
Check out the original report for more details and actual pictures.